b'The Boulevard SE1 11Walk to the south end of Blackfriars Road and youll come to St Georges Circus and the obelisk. A local landmark, the stone obelisk was designed by Robert Mylne, the architect of Blackfriars Bridge.The circus was built in 1771. It marked the end point of the boulevard which ran up to the recently constructed bridge. New and existing highways spiralled off, leading to Lambeth, the ancient parish of Newington, Westminster Bridge and Borough. The circus was a popular tram stop, and travellers would ask for a tuppeny to the obliss. Inscriptions on the sides of the obelisk mark a mile to key destinations of the time: Palace Yard, London Bridge and Fleet Street.'